Thursday, December 18, 2014

Championing William Seabrook


I was asked the other day, on a radio show, if I had to spend the rest of my life on a desert island, what books would I take with me?

I think there was a bit of a surprise when there were no UFO/Bigfoot etc books in my reply.

I said I would have to take my Charles de Lint, Robert Holdstock, Charles Bukoswki, Jack Kerouac, Arturo Perez-Reverte, and Carlos Ruiz Zafon books.

And then there is my collection of William Seabrook books.

Born in 1884, he was kind of a real life Indiana Jones, who travelled the world having all sorts of crazy adventures in jungles, and investigating things like voodoo, zombies, cannibals, etc.

His Jungle Ways book (see my 1930s edition photo above) is one of my all-time favorites, demonstrating his great writing skills and ability to tell an excellent story. And one I would definitely have to take to the island.

Sadly, Seabrook spent most of his life battling mental illness and alcoholism, and eventually killed himself. But he left a great legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment